As Alberta Health has now mandated all staff only work for one employer/worksite, we are currently recruiting for Health Care Aides (HCA) to work at our various locations in Edmonton and Leduc, Alberta. Posting will remain open until all vacancies are filled.
Must be available for weekend and evening shifts.
Under the direction of a Licensed Practical Nurse and a Supervisor, the Health Care Aide (HCA) will collaborate with their team to ensure resident care is delivered in a way that acknowledges resident choice, dignity, privacy, independence, and individuality inclusive of a home-like environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides quality service according to the care plan and the Alberta Life Care Housing Foundation Standards of Care including participating in the development and updating of care plans.
- Assists residents with personal care including bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting and other personal hygiene activities; meal service and feeding assistance; portering, mobility and exercise as needed; recreational activities and leisure activities where applicable. You will provide daily living support and comfort to residents.
- Carries out authorized and delegated procedures for specific resident needs (awareness of restricted activities and circumstances of practice).
- Accurately reports and document all service hours and activities performed for independent and Alberta Health Services program residents.
- Maintains and participate in continuing educational opportunities including monthly staff meetings, in-services and annual education
- Completes safe and appropriate medication assistance as per current Standards
- Reports on observations and communicate concerns to nurses, AHS Case Managers and other health care professionals
- Interact on a daily basis with resident family members and caregivers
- Physically able to assist with all aspects of resident care and transport, e.g. walking, standing, bending and lifting
Qualifications and Skills:
- Have a “Clean Bill of Health” re COVID-19 criteria and exposure;
- Not currently working at other employer/worksite;
- Recognized Health Care Aide certificate;
- Registered on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- Experience working with the elderly and disabled preferred;
- Palliative Care experience an asset;
- Delivers, practices, and role-models person-centered care and treats residents and families as equal partners in the planning of care and respects and upholds their opinions;
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence (use of perception and understanding of the resident and families ‘emotions as well as one’s emotions to manage situations towards the goal of effective resident care);
- Strong interpersonal skills and are able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal English;
- GED or grade 10 English equivalency;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Computer skills required;
- Provide a clear Criminal Record Check.
- Strenuous physical activity involved (walking, standing, lifting).
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- On feet most of workday.
- Exposed irregularly to infection when entering resident rooms.
- Exposures to infectious diseases are possible.