We are currently recruiting a full-time Recreation Assistant for our Whitemud location.
Hours vary from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm; and may require some evenings and weekends.
Working under the direction of the Recreation Therapist Supervisor, the Recreation Assistant provides support to the Recreation department in the planning, implementing and evaluating recreation and leisure programs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Planning, organizing, promoting and running recreation programs that are suitable and enjoyable to the resident needs as per the recreation assessment if applicable.
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of residents.
- Gathering suggestions/topics of interest from the seniors.
- Scheduling of the monthly calendar. Review with Recreation Therapist and give input on the calendar.
- Planning and organizing outings and special events.
- Setting up for programs/special events.
- Seasonal set up/removal and inventory of site decorations.
- Related administration work (i.e. answering phones, various typing, calendars, etc.)
- Helping residents with various issues/concerns that may arise and follow up with Recreation Supervisor/Therapist.
- Work with DOC/Building Manager and Administrative Assistant to ensure comfort funds records are accurately kept on an ongoing basis.
- Other duties assigned.
- Work together as a team player in a positive manner.
- Documentation of activities and resident changes in care charts and records.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Completion of an accredited Diploma in Recreation Therapy.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a similar environment.
- Current CPR and First AID Certification
- Delivers, practices, and role-models person-centered care and treats residents and families as equal partners in the planning of care and respects and upholds their opinions.
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence (use of perception and understanding of the resident and families ‘emotions as well as one’s emotions to manage situations towards the goal of effective resident care).
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lbs several times a day and standing/walking for the majority of working hours.
- Travel to the site will be required, and off-site locations may be required.
- Some evening and weekend shifts may be required.
- Activities include both indoor and outdoor activities.