We are currently recruiting for Maintenance & Facilities Manager position.
Primary hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 5:00, however must be available for on-call duties for evenings and weekends to meet operational requirements.
The Maintenance & Facilities Manager reports to the Operations Manager and is responsible for managing the maintenance of all facilities and ensuring the facilities are operating at maximum efficiency. The Maintenance & Facilities Manager will lead the Lifestyle Options maintenance function in providing both a reactive and proactive maintenance service for all facilities’ structure and systems. The incumbent will train, coach and mentor team members to ensure service and support is effectively provided to building managers and to our residents. The Maintenance & Facilities Manager may be required to perform highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain facility equipment according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes. The incumbent will oversee investigations and completions of maintenance activities including plumbing, electrical, HVAC, carpentry, painting, minor capital projects etc. This role responds to on-call and emergency situations.
The incumbent also has responsibility to manage a portfolio of residential properties.
Provides backup support to Operations Manager in their absence.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Performs walkthroughs of the buildings, inspects equipment, and infrastructure and creates checklists for work pending; prioritizes maintenance and repairs of equipment and parts and monitors work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensures efficient repair schedules and reviews repair cost estimates.
- Performs preventative maintenance, managing breakdowns of mechanical, electrical systems and equipment (including software programming, HVAC, refrigeration, etc.); ensure routine calibration and maintenance requirements routinely.
- Develops a Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedule, ensuring full preventative maintenance is carried out.
- Conducts ongoing risk assessments of processes and tasks in department.
- Monitors and inspect work orders in progress and completed as necessary; set department objectives/KPIs and report on achievement of targets.
- Schedules and manages contractors, consultants, and external vendors to ensure efficiency of process and timely completion of required work; coordinate work performed by external vendors; ensure they meet legal and company requirements.
- Inspects grounds, facilities, and equipment to determine if repairs or preventative maintenance is required and to ensure properties are maintained to company standards.
- Obtain, review and approve quotes from contractors for repairs & maintenance.
- Seek and develop new/existing relationships with local trades to be added to the company’s approved vendor list.
- Ensure maintenance team monitors contractor’s work progress.
- Communicate with the Building Managers and/or Operations Manager of any matters which may warrant further investigation.
- Ensures maintenance team maintains the cleanliness and organization of all electrical, mechanical and work areas; as well as supply and storage areas.
- Complies with health & safety procedures ensuring the use of required safety equipment and identifying unsafe practices and conditions while maintaining a clean and safe working environment.
- Safely uses, trains on and maintains tools of the job.
- Maintains regular and timely documentation of maintenance activities.
- Control and monitor inventory; manage systems and equipment data storage and maintain high levels of standards and accuracy.
- Performs all facets of the job in accordance with the legislation applicable to the jurisdiction, including: Health and Safety standards, WHMIS, Employment Standards, PIPA and Human Rights.
- Develops and implements safety policies and procedures for the Maintenance Department in collaboration with the Operations Manager and Human Resources Manager.
- Undertake continuous training and developments, staying current in technological trends and maintenance best practices.
- Maintains accurate records of all equipment – including inventory and repair history; Coordinate, organize tasks to ensure work orders, emergency issues are looked after in a timely manner between Lifestyle Options sites, Changing Futures, RCC, Chateau @ Schonsee, Ken’s diner and any commercial tenants.
- Ensure all binders, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual inspections are up to date and in binders for future audits.
- Assist in troubleshooting, deliveries and any other tasks with other Lifestyle Options facilities.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies when on call.
- Other duties as assigned by Operations Manager.
- Completing showings, move in/out inspections and lease signings.
- Responding to tenant requests, complaints and service calls.
- Collecting & depositing rent.
- Documenting tenant details and rent collection details.
- Drafting and handing out notices.
- Inspects property and tenant spaces periodically to ensure compliance with leases and upkeep of property.
- Prepares Lease documents and works closely with prospective tenants and outside brokers to lease vacant spaces and conducting tenant move-ins and move-outs.
- Works to minimize vacancies and always striving to maintain 100% occupancy.
- Enforces the terms of the lease agreements including rent collection, rules and regulations, and procedures related to serving notices to residents.
- Ensures that the rental units are maintained and cleaned in accordance with company standards.
- Monitors the grounds and common areas of the buildings on an ongoing basis to ensure properties have timely snow removal and sanding of sidewalks and roadways, and all grounds are free of debris.
- Schedules and coordinates all vendors for work/maintenance being done on the properties, as well as obtain service contracts for regular seasonal duties (such as snow removal and lawn maintenance).
- Facilitates work to be completed by third-party contractors.
- Trains on-site Maintenance team members on operational procedures.
- Submits rental subsidy claim forms as required.
- Represents the company at Landlord Tenant Board hearings.
- Deals with any issues that may need to go to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (collecting information, submitting forms and attending hearings as a representative of the company.
Leadership & Management:
- Assists with the recruitment, training, and mentoring of maintenance staff.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises Resident Manager, and General Labourers; conduct performance management when required.
- Supports and trains Team Members on routine maintenance repairs, including plumbing, electrical, carpentry and general maintenance and any other maintenance activities required for completing service requests, as well as customer service; effectively delegates any maintenance issues to be resolved.
- Maintains high morale with maintenance team by practicing positive strategies.
- Leads and manages the Yardi Maintenance Workflow system and ensure all team members understand and use the system daily.
- Assists Building Managers with matters escalated by residents requiring additional care/coordination.
Customer Service / Resident Relations:
- Handle resident/tenant inquiries/concerns in a timely and courteous manner.
- Responds promptly to resident issues and service requests.
- Ensures a superior level of co-operation, service and support is provided to residents.
- Ensures building standards are maintained to a high level and regional maintenance team is performing duties in a professional manner.
Financial and Budgets:
- Participates in the development of the Repairs & Maintenance section of the annual property budget.
- Reviews Monthly Operating Statements to ensure properties are meeting or exceeding budget.
- Ensures Payscan is managed and maintained in a thorough, complete & detailed manner and on a timely basis, meeting all Finance Department deadlines.
- Reviews invoicing from vendors and ensuring that they are billed correctly and proper codes are being utilized for the internal accounting department.
Qualifications and Skills:
- High school diploma/GED, successful completion of a craft apprenticeship, building trade certificate, or an equivalent number of years of education and commercial/institutional Maintenance Technician experience.
- Minimum of 7 years Maintenance Technician experience within a commercial/institutional environment.
- Minimum of 5 years leadership/management/coaching experience.
- Minimum of 1 year Commercial Property Management experience.
- A diploma or certificate in power engineering, mechanical, electrical, commercial maintenance or engineering considered an asset.
- Exposure to the multi-residential or other related industry asset class would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of plumbing, electrical, drywall, carpentry, painting, mechanical and HVAC systems, etc.
- Strong ability to interpret blueprints, specifications and schematics.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, including electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- Proficient with use of basic handheld and electrical tools.
- A demonstrated high degree of integrity, diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Strong business acumen, conflict resolution, negotiation skills, and demonstrated ability to manage up and down and comfortably navigate the entrepreneurial mindset with tact and diplomacy.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Ability to accurately listen, understand and respond to issues appropriately.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate detailed instructions both verbally and in writing.
- Technically proficient, capable of understanding complex systems and infrastructures.
- Ability to maintain organization of maintenance schedules and files in a changing environment.
- Excellent time management and project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple dynamic projects under tight deadlines and rigorous regulatory scrutiny.
- You are a problem solver and solutions oriented with ability create alternative solutions to problems.
- Ability to work and act independently using good judgment when assessing difficult situations.
- Self-motivated individual with a “can-do” and “no task is too big or too small” attitude.
- Superior organizational and time management skills with ability to multi-task/prioritize and work under tight timelines.
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient in Yardi or other Property Management software.
- Flexibility to respond to emergencies happen after regular business hours.
- Willingness to travel to all sites within Edmonton and Leduc.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and able to provide a clean abstract.
- Able to provide a clean criminal record and vulnerable sector check.
- On call duties are required.
- Requirement to work hours outside of “regular” business hours is required.
- Travel to sites will be required.
- Physical ability to lift up to 50 lb.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Hazards associated with the trade.