*** Due to increased operational needs, as a result of COVID-19, our personnel requirements have increased (including this position). ***
We are currently recruiting for Casual Health Care Aides for our Schonsee facility in North Edmonton.
We are looking for both Evening Shift (3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.) and Night Shift (11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.).
Under the direction of a Licensed Practical Nurse and a Supervisor, the Health Care Aide (HCA) will collaborate with their team to ensure resident care is delivered in a way that acknowledges resident choice, dignity, privacy, independence, and individuality inclusive of a home-like environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides quality service according to the care plan and the Alberta Life Care Housing Foundation Standards of Care including participating in the development and updating of care plans;
- Assists residents with personal care including bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting and other personal hygiene activities; meal service and feeding assistance; portering, mobility and exercise as needed; recreational activities and leisure activities where applicable. You will provide daily living support and comfort to residents;
- Carries out authorized and delegated procedures for specific resident needs (awareness of restricted activities and circumstances of practice);
- Accurately reports and document all service hours and activities performed for independent and Alberta Health Services program residents;
- Maintains and participate in continuing educational opportunities including monthly staff meetings, in-services and annual education
- Completes safe and appropriate medication assistance as per current Standards;
- Reports on observations and communicate concerns to nurses, AHS Case Managers and other health care professionals;
- Interact on a daily basis with resident family members and caregivers;
- Physically able to assist with all aspects of resident care and transport, e.g. walking, standing, bending and lifting.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Have a “Clean Bill of Health” re COVID-19 criteria and exposure;
- Not currently working at other employer/worksite;
- Recognized Health Care Aide Certificate;
- Registered on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- Experience working with the elderly and disabled preferred;
- Palliative Care experience an asset;
- Delivers, practices, and role-models person-centered care and treats residents and families as equal partners in the planning of care and respects and upholds their opinions;
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence (use of perception and understanding of the resident and families ‘emotions as well as one’s emotions to manage situations towards the goal of effective resident care);
- Strong interpersonal skills and are able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal English;
- GED or grade 10 English equivalency;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Computer skills required;
- Provide a clear Criminal Record Check (with Vulnerable Sector).
- Strenuous physical activity involved (walking, standing, lifting);
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds;
- On feet most of workday;
- Exposed irregularly to infection when entering resident rooms;
- Exposures to infectious diseases are possible.
We would like to thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.